bad_block

Someone from the C.S. came over and got my system
up and running. But there does seem to be a bad block and
he did not know how to "patch" it up. Under Unix there is
a program called format which does this.
There should be something similar under Linux, but he did
not know what it is called. Does anyone know about this?

In the mean time I am trying to move files to other systems.
This is hard because if I try to tar or compress something, I am
likely to hit the bad block!

Thanks to those who have replied.

It is clear that I need someone to help maintain my system.
As SIUC does not seem willing/able to provide this I am
concidering hiring someone myself. This would only be
for about 1 hour a week. One option is cash, say $20 per hour.
Another option is a barter deal of one hour of math tutoring
for one hour of computer help. If you are interested
e-mail me directly: msulliva@math.siu.edu

Mike Sullivan
SIU Math Dept.
Carbondale