help_with_fsck

My system is down. I am not at all knowledgable about
system administration. We (Math Dpet at SIUC) do not
have technical support staff. Here is what has happened:

Event 1)
While taring a file I got this message:

Message from sysloggd@nkrs465 at Mon ...1997
nkrs465 kernel: kernal panic: EXT2-fs panic
(device 03:03): ext2_write_inode:
unable to read i-node block-inode=87841,
block=35227

Further, all files and directories are now read only.

I rebooted and ran fsck. I followed the default options
and the system came up ok, but several files where missing.

Event 2)
While compressing a postscript file I got the same error
message from the kernal.

I tried rebooting and running fsck again. This time I was afraid
to follow the default options. I quickly became lost. It (fsck)
would keep asking the same round of questions no matter what
may replies were. I got out of fsck and turned the machine
off for fear of really messing things up.

The message is coming from another account at Northwestern Univ.
Feel free to call me at 453-6517 or to reply by e-mail. I'll
send out a note when it is fixed. The area code is 618 in Carbondale.

Mike Sullivan
Math Dept
SIUC