Samba config question

I just sent the following question to the CentOS mail list, hoping against hope someone will spot something that explains why I have been having such difficulty getting Samba to work. I would like to talk about this in Saturday's meeting.

After setting up /etc/samba/smb.conf and running "testparm" in CentOS 7.9.2011, I have noticed that the list of parameters echoed back for the [global] section do not match those in the smb.conf file. Is this normal?

[global] in /etc/samba/smb.conf:
unix charset = UTF-8
dos charset = CP932
vfs objs = acl_xattr
map acl inherit = yes
store dos attributes = yes
printing = cups
printcap = cups
load printers = yes
# Network related options
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server Version %v
netbios name = SERVER01
interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.1.0/24
hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1.
# Logging options
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
# Standalone Server Options
security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
map to guest = Bad User
# Name Resolution
wins support = yes
dns proxy = yes
# Printing options
load printers = yes
cups options = raw
# Filesystem options
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map read only = no
map system = no
store dos attributes = yes

When I subsequently run "testparm", I get a shorter and in some cases different list:

[global] in "testparm" output:
dos charset = CP932
interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.1.0/24
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
map to guest = Bad User
max log size = 50
printcap name = cups
security = USER
server string = Samba Server Version %v
wins support = Yes
idmap config * : backend = tdb
cups options = raw
hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1
map acl inherit = Yes
map archive = No
vfs objects = acl_xattr

Is this normal behavior for Samba? I am particularly concerned about workgroup = WORKGROUP missing in the "testparm" output.

--Doc