Re: TigerVNC

On Dec 22, 2020, at 15:46, Robert G. (Doc) Savage <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:

# systemctl start vncserver@display_number.service
Job for vncserver@display_number.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status vncserver@display_number.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

The thing that jumps out to me here is that you're using a literal "display_number" with this template unit. That gets passed to /usr/bin/vncserver as a parameter (that %i in Exec= if you run `systemctl cat vncserver@.service`), and I would suspect it's none too happy to have anything there that isn't an integer. Try it with "1" and see if that gets you closer?

Another thing I'd be aware of is whether or not the SELinux contexts are set appropriately, so be prepared for that to snarl you up too. You might need to troubleshoot that by running in permissive mode. (I haven't touched SELinux in almost a decade, so I'm blanking on the particulars that I'd be tempted to check here.)

Also, since this is Fedora, if you're using Gnome as your desktop environment, you may want to double-check that you've disabled Wayland somewhere in gdm's configuration. I can't imagine that any VNC implementations support it right now, and I have the sinking suspicion that not disabling it would result in a frustratingly black screen upon connecting over VNC.

Is there anything in ~doc/.vnc/? IIRC, TigerVNC should print logs there when run this way. I don't think it'll print them to the journal.

Does any of this make any sense to you?

Fingers crossed that it does. It's been a while since I've touched anything close to VNC, so I could be completely out to lunch here. -n