Burning a CD under F32

As Fedora evolves, the ways we used to do simple things often seem to settle into a murky water.

Today I had to burn a small ISO file to a CD-R using Fedora 32 and the USB CD/DVR drive on my ThinkPad laptop. Every time I put a blank CD-R into the drive, F32 kept coming up with k3b as the default application. After several unsuccessful attempts to write a downloaded ISO to the blank disk with k3b, I fell back to a Google search. One answer reminded me that I'd used Brasero to do this in the past.

I don't know why K3B doesn't work in a MATE desktop environment. One possibility explanation is a system configuration problem. When k3b starts, a popup complaint (attached K3B_Error) appears. I don't fully understand what it's trying to tell me, but I know for certain my /etc/profile.d/custom.sh file contains an "LC_ALL=C \ export LC_ALL=C" declaration.

Brasero doesn't complain. It just gets the job done. The two Brasero attachments show how simple it is to use.

--Doc Savage
    Fairview Heights, IL

K3B_Error.png

Brasero_opening_screen.png