Re: RHEL 8

On May 7, while I was on the road in Ogden UT to see the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike, Red Hat released RHEL 8. This is a big sucker:

-rw-rw-r--. 1 doc  doc  7103053824 Jun  6 01:44 rhel-8.0-x86_64-dvd.iso

Red Hat wants you to pay for your support subscription before actually installing it, so I think I'll wait until late summer (?) for the CentOS 8 release.

Major RHEL releases have always required fresh installations. RHEL now supports upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0. I successfully used this new capability to upgrade F29 to F30 (Beta). I did encounter some SELinux problems that required a complete re-contexting of the root filesystem, but that was fairly simple.

RHEL / CentOS 8 is based on the 4.18 kernel. Other major upgrades will clear up age-related problems with Docker, for example.

--Doc

P.S. We won't be asking if CentOS 8 will be available before Scientific Linux 8. Fermi Labs recently announced they will end their Scientific Linux distribution and switch to CentOS.