SD card partition extends beyond the disk

I learned a couple things I thought I'd pass on.

SD cards can spontaneously go read only when they fail. I guess that is better than losing all your data.

My first priority, or so I thought, was to fix the filesystem corruption, but I couldn't because the disk was read only.  After realizing my attempts to force the disk back to read/write were in vain, I imaged the disk using our favorite tool, dd.

I then applied the image to a known good 32gb sd card.  Both cards were Samsung, the failed disk was an Evo Plus while the replacement was just an Evo. I thought nothing of it.

I quickly realized the Evo was a few blocks smaller than the Evo Plus.  dd didn't care, but every other filesystem tool didSon of a....

In case anyone runs into this issue, here is how you can fix that w/o data loss:

https://gparted.org/h2-fix-msdos-pt.php#partition-outside-disk

Thanks,
Andy

No Trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.