Re: Redhat dropping support for BTRFS

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 06:57:17PM +0000, Andrew Bauer wrote:
> I don't use btrfs myself. Since it has been discussed previously in our group, I thought I'd relay what showed up in the Fedora developers list today:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/YHOOGJWGKDFZ4KZEV3MLTCJTA3VKW2PS/
>

> which references this:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/7.4_Release_Notes/chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-7.4_Release_Notes-Deprecated_Functionality.html

This whole thing is kind of distressing, but I really can't argue with
Red Hat dropping btrfs in RHEL 8.  Right now, the code base is going
through a rate of churn that they can't realistically keep up with in
their backports to the RHEL kernel, which means they can't keep up with
major stability fixes, so they can't support it.

Maybe if the rate of change in the btrfs code drops and the filesystem
starts to prove itself, Red Hat will add it back in as a technology
preview in RHEL 8.x (where x > 1).

Or maybe pigs fly, Oracle changes the ZFS license to something
GPL-compatible, and we all stop caring about btrfs.  :-/