Re: rpms that require a service restart

On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 11:02 -0400, Robert Citek wrote:
Greetings all,

> I am in the process of upgrading a number of servers, all CentOS/RHEL.
>  Given a list of packages from 'yum check-update', I would like to
> only install those packages that will not require a service restart.
> Put another way, I would like to create an exclude list of all
> packages that will require a service restart.
>
> How can I find out which RPMs will require a service restart?

Robert,

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that any required service restarts are
handled by post-install scripts. I don't recall any that control services
that don't restart them automatically.

If you are looking to avoid all restarts, "chkconfig --list | grep 5:on"
will tell you which services are started at boot time. Upgrades to those
packages will almost certainly restart their own services.

To be absolutely sure you might have to examine the .spec files and any
referenced post-install scripts in all .src.rpm packages. Unless you
suffer from OCD, doing this for all 1,000+ packages in a minimum
installation will be a massive PITA.

--Doc