Re: Relationship between RHEL and Fedora

Ken,

That's true. Scientific's 6.0 beat CentOS 6.0 by three months or more.
CentOS has long since caught up. Unless you have a good reason to pay
for Red Hat's subscription maintenance support, use CentOS or SciLinux.
Except for the trademarked logos and other artwork, they're exactly the
same. And if particle physics is your game, SciLinux would be your best
choice. Those folks at Fermi Labs don't fool around :-)

To answer your original question, there is a fairly definite time
relationship between Fedora and RHEL. Fedora aims for 6-month release
cycles, and RHEL tries for 3 years between major releases. Almost every
new feature in RHEL was introduced, beta tested, and thoroughly shaken
down in Fedora first. RHEL5 was forked from Fedora 6, and RHEL6 from
Fedora 12 (sorta).

I don't think RHEL7 will branch from Fedora 18 (now in beta) because
F18's brand new anaconda graphical installer needs a LOT more
development and polishing before it's ready for the commercial market.

--Doc Savage