dd limit???

Four times I've tried to use a Coolmax IDE-to-USB2 adapter to dd a
binary image of /dev/sda2 to a bare-metal backup image file on my
server. Every time the process stalls at 104,329,363,456 bytes (97.2G --
it's a 120G Seagate Momentus 5400.2). I can't kill the dd process. I
can't even warm boot the server. Have to hit the hard reset to complete
shutdown.

Once it stalls, /var/log/messages keeps repeating:

Jun  7 20:37:05 lion kernel:
Jun  7 20:37:08 lion kernel: sdc: Current: sense key: No Sense
Jun  7 20:37:08 lion kernel:     Add. Sense: No additional sense
information

dmesg shows similar status:

sdc: Current: sense key: No Sense
    Add. Sense: No additional sense information

Before pulling the disk and connectiving to the Coolmax, I had to boot
to rescue mode with an F13 installation disk to run e2fsck against that
second partition to make sure it was OK. No problems reported.

Am I running into some kind of numeric limit with dd?

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL