Re: Using dd rescue?

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 16:06 -0600, Brian Elder wrote:
> 2011/3/7 Wolfgang <wolfgangmob@gmail.com>
>         How cna I use DD rescue to recover a disk and copy its entire
>         contents to another disk?  My 500 GB has reported 61 bad
>         sectors and I want to transfer the contents to my 1 TB that is
>         all free space right now.
>
>         --
>         "You must control your future by taking command of your
>         present, and fixing and learning from your past."
>
>         "When history is forgotten people don't realize when it
>         repeats."
>
>         "Я - тот. Я - всемогущее. Я буду управлять по всем."
>
> dd_rescue -d -D -B 4k /dev/source /dev/destination
>

> ^^ all credit goes to Steve for that.
>

> If you can still mount the drive, you shouldn't have issues (most of
> the time).
>

> There are other safety precautions you can do such as using "-r" to go
> reverse if you start hitting errors at the beginning of the run. I'm
> sure the rest of the gang can provide more info too.

Wolfgang,

BE CAREFUL. dd_rescue and ddrescue are two separate tools that do
similar things differently.

You can use dd and dd_rescue to do a bare metal copy of the entire disk:

# umount {all filesystems on /dev/sdX}
 -- or --
boot with a live CD containing dd and dd_rescue

-- then --
# dd_rescue /dev/sdX { /dev/sdY | /path/to/wholedisk.img (a file) ]
Note that the default options are perfectly OK to use (or not).

You can use dd and dd_rescue to make bare metal copies of each
individual partition:

Master Boot Record (MBR)
# dd if=/dev/sdX of=[ /dev/sdY | mbr.img (a file) ] bs=512 count=1
Each succeeding partition 1..n
# dd_rescue /dev/sdX{1..n} [ /dev/sdY{1..n} | /path/to/partition{1..n}.img (a file)

There are advantages to using each scheme. Cogitate on this for a while
and you'll probably see what I mean.

--Doc