Re: F14 installation

I installed Fedora 14 on my laptop a couple nights ago.  I was hesitant
to try it because I've been using debian distros for years, but I have
to admit that I was blown away.  I still had to use the noacpi noapic
and nomodeset flags at the boot line to get the Live CD to load
correctly on my laptop, but once it was installed, I didn't have to
modify the boot line at the OS select screen and then modify grub files
so it will boot correctly (unlike Ubuntu and Mint).  Everything just
worked....sound, video, wifi.  The graphics worked a little too well.
It was using 1400x1050 resolution.  It looked very sharp, but I noticed
that if I had something full screen and needed to scroll up or down, it
was VERY choppy and terribly slow.  I set the resolution to 1280x1024
(what I've always used before) and the choppiness went away, although my
display isn't quite as sharp now.  I was also impressed by the
installation options that aren't present in Ubuntu or Mint (LVM
groups/slices, RAID, ability to install/connect to SAN).  It also
installed much faster on my system than Ubuntu or Mint did.  I'm running
the Gnome (default) version on a laptop from 2003 that has a Pentium 4,
2.4 Ghz processor with 2 GB of ram and it doesn't feel bogged down.  I
had expected it to be limping along, but it's actually handling it
pretty well! To those that might be on the fence about trying it out, I
say give it a shot.

Kevin