Re: F14 Beta

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 11:33 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> Beta testing for Fedora 14 begins tomorrow at about 11am CDT with the
> once-delayed release of Fedora 14 Beta. Anyone interested in fetching
> the entire release may use the attached rsync script. Be advised that
> the Alpha release totalled 15222 files and occupied 40GB of disk space.

Following up, the rsync script will download 40GB in 15,225 files (many
are created as hard links). The entire release took about 13.5 hours on
my 12 Mbps connection.

By comparison the Fedora 13 General Availability release totaled 74GB in
61,011 files. That included 49GB in an Everything folder not included in
Alpha or Beta releases.

As Kara has already mentioned, one of the most interesting components in
F14 may be SPICE (Simple Protocol for Independent Computing Environment)
for desktop virtualization. From eWeek:

"Created by the developers of KVM virtualization technology, Spice
accelerates 2D graphics, audio playing and recording, encryption, and
other tasks while working in a virtualized environment. Spice is used
for client-server communication, adding a QXL display device to the QEMU
emulator. Spice is also said to provide drivers for this device for both
X and Windows. The framework is expected to be extended and integrated
in future releases."

In other words, SPICE allows you to connect to a virtualized instance of
a Linux or Windows PC that's hosted on a server. It relays sound, video,
and other I/O to your local console, hopefully a lot better than earlier
remote technologies like Citrix.

--Doc