Re: RHEL vs. Fedora for Red Hat Certification Prep

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Koree A. Smith <koree@ameth.org> wrote:

heh, I could agree it's probably not a test you should attempt this early.  It was easy for me, but by the time I took the RHCE exam the first time, I had 12 years experience under my belt.  I'm not sure I'd worry about a cert at all.  I had a career long before I ever had that test.  The test is just an extra thing to get recruiters and hiring managers to look at your resume.  Find a good entry level position, and study your butt off for the next 5 years.  You'll get there.  Make sure to always run Linux boxen at home.  Always try to learn new ways of doing things.  Make your own fileserver, router, etc using Linux.  Also, get a college degree.  Even if it's not a computer-related degree.  A lot of people would argue with me on this, and I myself do not have a college degree and have been relatively successful.  However, my life would have been way easier had I just had that degree.  But, remember, having a college degree with no real knowledge is worthless.  No degree or cert will teach you all of the skills you need to survive in this or any other field.  You have to find those on your own.

Sounds like sound advice. I actually already have a B.S. but it's in physics and has done me little good. I've always been heavily involved in computers so I decided to "change my career path" and get back into computer support and onwards. I'd just like to accelerate it as much as possible (who wouldn't?).

-Nathan