Re: RHEL vs. Fedora for Red Hat Certification Prep

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 20:39 -0700, Nathan Nutter wrote:
> Thanks for the added info Doc. I'm sort of beginning a life/career in
> IT and at first I was just going to go the M$ route but now I'm
> thinking maybe I should try to do Red Hat's certification instead. I'd
> much rather work with Linux as I think it's a smarter solution for
> business. There are certainly situations where Windows has an
> advantage over Linux but it seems like 80% of the time (or something)
> Linux would be a better choice.
>
> I'm also very interested in Ubuntu but I kinda think Canonical is too
> young to really know whether it has a future in business or not.

Nathan,

The market for Red Hat Linux support is far smaller than that for
Windows. You can make a very good living supporting Microsoft, while
still using Linux as your personal OS. Personally, I live in a
Microsoft-free environment. The only Windows systems I use run in
multiple virtual machines under VMware Server on a very beefy RHEL5
Server host. That's where I run Turbo Tax, Visio, and the handful of
other Windows-only apps I simply must use from time to time. I run
Fedora on my laptop to stay current with the bleeding edge.

--Doc