Re: help... X-Server crashed after update

Drastic?  Destructive?  In what way?

"recovery mode" is just Ubuntu's way of saying "runlevel 1".  The only
difference between "recovery mode" and other "modes" is the services
that are started/stopped.  X11 (gdm/kdm/etc.) is just another service,
which happens to start in normal mode and is not started in recovery
mode.

Regards,
- Robert