Re: History of Ubuntu X Problem - locales, etc... [long]

Laszlo Acs wrote:
> Then, and finally... after trying 'sudo aptitude install locales' for
> like the 10th time... (ok ...  ok  - it's not ten times, and I used
> aptitude that time, not apt) I get the locales to generate and have
> resolved at least a PORTION of the problem: I no longer am getting a
> slew of PERL errors about not being able to set LC_ALL to default and
> the 'locale' command completes correctly.
>
> Wierd, it just magically worked this time and not the last previous times...

It's good that this got fixed, but it probably was a red herring.  I've
seen this lots of times, and never has it been an indication of a
problem.  Of course, non-speakers of English might consider it a bigger
deal...

>  Doing some more Googling...  I run
>
>   $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall xfonts-utils
>
> based on what I read in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...le/+bug/107687
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfonts-scalable/+bug/107687>
> and it seemed to resolve the issue where xfonts-scalable was bombing
> out. I can now run
>
>   $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall language-pack-en
>
> successfully without errors!

Did you actually see xfonts-scalable reconfigure?  If not, you should be
able to do "dpkg --pending --configure" to get that to happen without
touching any of the other updates aptitude thinks it needs to do.

If you did, it's possible that something got funky from all the
packaging errors.  You could do an "aptitude install --reinstall
xfonts-scalable" and see if that makes things better.

> I pop over to a TTY terminal and login as meself.  Then, I'm thinking,
> this machine is unstable.  I look in the /var/log/syslog file and don't
> see any cause for the crash - there is just a number of regular entries
> and then they just stop.  That is not promising...  I'm still thinking
> about the environment issues and the xfonts; and come to the conclusion
> that most likely this whole thing was caused by an aborted update
> process and somehow my environment got screwed up and in turn caused
> future updates to fail (remember the perl error messages...)
> So...  I make the fatal mistake:
>
>   $ sudo apt-get update
>   $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>

> that led to the demise of my X-server...

If you ask me, I'd blame the proprietary ATI driver.  You did mention
that you had to play with the repos...

The "radeon" driver from X.org in at least Debian 5.0 ("lenny") seems to
support your Radeon 7000 VE, so maybe you should give that a try.  I've
had good luck with it recently--even running Compiz on whatever is in my
ThinkPad X61s laptop.