Re: anyone interested?

If /var is a separate DISK, and there are no relative errors pertaining to that disk device, I would agree with you, that should be feasible (It's really hard to tell without seeing the errors firsthand) Usually, the default layout for a *nix box, is to have /var on it's own partition or slice(same as the boot disk device typically) , but not it's own disk.

Personally, I think storing any application data in /var or any other system level slices or directories is an extremely bad idea (Even if you have it on it's own disk device), since that most system logs, core service logs, and other 'system level stuff' typically resides there .
--
#!/usr/bin/rh stop

---- Justin McCormick <justinm@schoolcenter.com> wrote:

It seems to me that all Eric wants currently is to get the data off the
harddrive but cannot do so because the boot drive has errors/failed.
The best thing I would think to do would be to grab a live CD of your
favorite distro and mount the good drive to get the contents off of it.