RHEL 5.1->5.2 upgrade - part 1

This is a trilogy. Part 1 is fixed, and described below. Parts 2 and 3
to follow.

For the past couple of months I've been working to upgrade my big 64-bit
RHEL system from v5.1 to v5.2. This has been a challenge like few others
in recent memory. I've had to contend with underlying problems like Red
Hat artificially dividing its Server and Workstation variants, removing
user-oriented packages like Evolution from Server. What should have been
a simple upgrade turned into an awful train wreck. The loss of Evolution
ultimately led to the loss of GNOME as I removed packages that (a)
weren't being updated and (b) prevented others from updating.

Steve remembered that Red Hat separated Evolution into two parts, namely
a bare client RPM and the GNOME-specific stuff which they repackaged in
a new RPM they called evolution-data-server. He suggested I run:

# yum -y groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

This gave me back my GNOME desktop and made it possible to finish
upgrading my Evolution not from Red Hat Network, but from the newly
updated CentOS 5.2 repository. For the first time since mid-May I'm
running Evolution from my main home server, and can VPN in to read my
mail from anywhere.

--Doc