Re: Remote connections to X apps

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 21:09 -0700, unixman@charter.net wrote:
> Hi Doc,
>
> Might try this :
>
>   Instead of using the display option, set and export the DISPLAY env var before you ssh into your home box from cygwin :
>
> something like "DISPLAY=localhost:38.0"

This is probably needed, but I'm not sure I follow your use of the
notation '38.0'. Does '38' refer to anything in particular?

Already done in sshd_config on the remote server (lion). As I said:
> For those who
> might ask "Have you enabled X11 forwarding in the server's sshd_config
> file?", the answer is yes.
TCP forwarding is also enabled in sshd_config. Both TCP and X11
forwarding are also enabled in Cygwin's ssh_config. Note that there is
no sshd daemon running on the local Cygwin PC.

> You are trying Windows->Cygwin ssh session->Linux-> X Application
> We do Windows -> Putty ssh session->Linux-> X Application
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
>
> (Something similar) But we have to run an Windows X server on the windows box like "Hummingbird Exceed" to get this to work .
>
> http://connectivity.hummingbird.com/products/nc/exceed/index.html
>
> Both are free ...

So is Cygwin. Unlike the many Windows ports of individual UNIX utilities
(e.g. WinSCP, OpenSSH for Windows, ...), Cygwin includes virtually the
entire GNU collection of applications and utilities in a comprehensive,
integrated suite. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking UNIX/Linux
interoperability on Windows platforms. It's even better than Interix,
the only validated UNIX for the Windows kernel. (Interix was purchased
by Microsoft and renamed to Services for UNIX. It's now free too.)
As I said in my first message:
> I've started Cygwin's X server on the PC here at work and
> leave it running in background ready to display any X session sent to it.
Cygwin includes a full xorg-x11 v6.8 X server compiled for Win32 and
cygwin1.dll, "which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing
substantial Linux API functionality." (quoted from
http://www.cygwin.com).

--Doc