Funny problem in the Networking World

Here's a real stumper I had today. I bought a new
router (Netgear) because it supported my son's
Nintendo DS (my DLINK couldn't handle the low-speed
connection). Anyway, I had all the computers in my
house switched over with no problem (most use DHCP)
except my Ubuntu laptop. No matter what I did, I
couldn't get to the net. I have both a built-in
ethernet and a wireless card in this laptop. Both
received addresses from the router, but neither would
consistently connect to the net. It might work for a
few seconds, and then I was back to zip. I tried
everthing. I finally decided something must have
gotten corrupted, and I was considering re-installing.
All routes looked good, I could ping the router (which
was also passively providing DNS). At the last minute,
I started just playing with things. I realized I had
OpenVPN going to my previous employer (I still do
contract work from home). I stopped the OpenVPN daemon
and everything started working. Then it hit me. My new
router defaulted to an internal address of
192.168.1.1, the same as the work router. My previous
router was 192.168.0.1. So my machine was getting
confused due to the two gateways, and that was why it
sometimes worked. I changed my home router to
192.168.0.1 and now everthing works. Simple problems
can be the hardest to find!

Faith without Works is Dead...