From: silug-discuss-owner@silug.org [mailto:silug-discuss-owner@silug.org]
On Behalf Of Robert Citek
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 2:14 AM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: Re: Distro Recommendation

On Jun 19, 2006, at 1:31 AM, Aaron Call wrote:
> I have a project laptop: IBM Thinkpad 760DX, Intel 166mhz, 64m Ram,
> and a whopping 2.1g hd. The trick is, no bootable optical drive and
> only one removable media drive per boot. I am tired of trying to get
> PCMCIA-NIC configured so I created a bootable partition on the HD;
> Linux or MS DOS (used a floppy to create/install the partition, then
> swap drives and reboot).
> So here I am, I need a distro that will run on the above specs,
> preferably with some basic graphical desktop, to be used for basic
> class-note-taking/websurfing/SSH stuff. I prefer an installer but can
> forgo such if there are explicit instructions. I need to be able to
> start any such installer from inside a booted OS (as above, either
> DOS, Linux, or Windows).

xubuntu[1], a Ubuntu flavor for low-end hardware, should run on that
hardware without a problem.  I installed it today on a 2.1 GB Seagate drive
and still had about 700 MB of free space.  But this was in a desktop machine
and it had a CD-ROM.  Sounds like you'll have to do some slight-of-hand no
matter what distro you choose.  Since it's a Thinkpad, I'd opt for taking
the drive out, put the drive in a newer machine, install xubuntu, and return
the drive.

[1] http://www.xubuntu.org/

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS for Windows, Linux,
*BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

-
To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with "unsubscribe
silug-discuss" in the body.