Re: bashing

i'm coming back tomorrow to re-read what you wrote. i'm gong to try and
restate what i said, exactly how i meant it.  sometimes i write things
down in a 'round about way' without actually saying what i want ... k?
here goes

i have a USB disk (two of them).  it has my college files on it, i've
learned how to make LVM and i made those two files into an LVM
#!/bin/bash
pvcreate /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
vgcreate VolGroup01 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
#pvdisplay /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
vgdisplay VolGroup01 | grep "Total PE"
#lvcreate -l736 -nLogVol00 VolGroup01
lvcreate -l 181 VolGroup01 -nLogVol00
vgchange -a y VolGroup01
mkfs.ext3 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
mount /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 /BloomCounty/Binkley/

okay .... so now i have my working LVM,  and i have put all my files on
it from about two years or so back.  i want to back it up to my archive
directory /BloomCounty/archive.  i also want to back up some other stuff
so i make a shell script to do that (or a bash/ batch file).
#!/bin/bash
###backup of system information
tar -cvpf /BloomCounty/archive/`date +'%Y_%m%d'`_fc4backup.tar
--label="Fedora Core 4 Full Backup" --exclude=mnt --exclude=proc
--exclude=var/spool/squid --exclude=BloomCounty --exclude=*.iso
--exclude=*.rpm --exclude-caches --exclude=usr/local/games /
gzip -9 ~/archive/*.tar
###backup of my personal files for college
tar -cvpf /BloomCounty/archive/`date +'%Y_%m%d'`_SEMo_U.tar
--exclude-caches --label="SEMo_U Full Backup" /BloomCounty/Binkley/
gzip -9 ~/archive/*.tar
###backup of RPM's from yum
tar -cvpf /BloomCounty/archive/`date +'%Y_%m%d'`_RPMs.tar
--exclude-caches /var/cache/yum/
gzip -9 ~/archive/*.tar

rather than tar a file, and gzip it, tar a file and gzip it (at 9 mind
you), i thought i could tar all the files mentioned above, and then have
a bash script that would say take each file above:
     2006_0227-FC4.tar
     2006_0227-SEMo_U.tar
     2006_0227-RPMs.tar
and make each of them into a gzip file at compression 9 without ....
having to type it all in, like:
gzip -9 /BloomCounty/archive/2006*FC4.tar   (and so on for each file).

i was wondering if i could tar all the files, and then if there was some
nifty way to compress each of them automagically without me having to
hit any buttons.  i can have crontab call the script to life that tars
everything (making backups) and then gzips it for me.
$NAME=%Y_%m%d-*.tar
gzip $NAME