Re: silug-discuss

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 11:52 -0600, hbrhodes wrote:
> does anyone know where to the nvidia driver?  i've tried yum, couldn't
> get it to download lately,

You have to add the repository file for Livna.ORG to
your /etc/yum.repos.d/.  And that assumes Livna.ORG has the nVidia
driver for your kernel built.

> and when i downloaded the file from http://www.nvidia.com , i can't get
> it to install because the init 3 command hangs on Wine (exiting i
> suppose).

You don't need the WINE daemon to use WINE.
Do your security a favor:
  chkconfig --level 2345 wine off

_Never_ allow Windows programs to automagically run under Linux without
an _exclusive_ WINE call.  That's what that daemon does.  Turn it _off_.

> i've tried telinit 3 too, and that didn't work.
> does anyone know howto get to a non graphical interface so i can install
> that nvidia driver?  i tried using the preconfigured geforce 6200 driver
> that comes with FC4, but it doesn't work with the Cedega 5.1 program i
> downloaded (glide test and D3D test).

That's because ATI, Matrox, nVidia and just about every other graphics
card short of the Intel i85x/91x/95x does _not_ have DRI or GLX support,
only 2D support, in the stock MIT Xorg drivers.

> i've looked through the posts that i thought would have viable info and
> didn't see something that really made sense.  basically FC4 has a driver
> for my 6200 geforce card, but when Cedega (timedemo) tested the files it
> stated the glide and D3D tests failed, thus i'm inquiring about how to
> get init or telinit to let me out to install them.  i'm trying init 3 as
> mentioned above, is there a better way?

Turn _off_ that WINE daemon.  You don't need it and it's a major
security issue.  In fact, that probably isn't Cedega's WINE -- but stock
WINE installing that horrendous daemon.

--
Bryan J. Smith             Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org       http://thebs413.blogspot.com