Re: Rebuilding notebook 2nd step

Lee,

I have used this one frequently and with great success.  Three time in
the last two days even, all on XP.  Never set a new password, just make
it blank.

You can pretty much take the defaults, but have to use the * to blank
the password.  Sometimes I forget to read the print...

Good luck!

Jacques

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 10:57 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> OK, the Knoppix copy process seems to have been successful. I was surprised
> to see that the new HD actually booted [without rebuilding the boot
> record]! Unfortunately, logging in with a valid user ID gets past the login
> dialog, but immediately logs out.
>
> My original assumption that the next step would be to boot the XP CD &
> 'repair' the partition to rebuild the boot record(s), .. but it turns out
> XP does not require the installing user to setup an administrator account!
> The system will run just fine with a named user as the administrator, but
> any command-line tools (like XP Repair) have no administrator account to login.
>
> Has anyone used a Linux rescue CD that WILL actually CHANGE an XP
> administrator password? I have tried numerous versions in the past, and
> most worked for NT, but none of the ones I have tried for XP have ever
> successfully change the administrator PW.
>
> 	TIA,
>
> 	Lee

Jacques Sabrie
Pacific RSC RIAC/MITRE