Re: DD via USB?

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 18:57 -0800, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> "Robert G. (Doc) Savage" <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> > Lee,
> > If you're simply increasing the size of the Windoze drive,
> > why not:
> > (1) Use ntbackup to do a full backup of the old hard drive
> > (including
> > System State) with the .bkf file going to a USB2 drive
> > (something other
> > than the 100GB new drive).
> > (2) Install the new drive and do a minimal Windoze install.
> > (3) Finally, use ntbackup to restore everything from the
> > .bkf file.
>
> Because it never works as well as advertised.  ;->
>
> Especially installing two Windows versions side-by-side, and
> overwriting portions of the "temporary" Windows install as
> part of the restore process.

Not side-by-side. That's the purpose of backing up and restoring the
System State along with partitions. The restore overwrites the temporary
install. We've used this method to recreate servers from scratch using
full backup tapes w/System State.

A more technically intricate way to accomplish the same task would be to
use Norton Ghost which allows you to adjust disk size in the restoration
step.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **