Re: DD via USB?

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 19:52 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> A friend wants to upgrade the HD in his laptop [Windoze]; I have a USB
> drive carrier, but we would need to image the drives to preserve the
> original content.
>
> Since the driver will be dissimilar size (20G vs. 100G), dd won't work,
> right? What's the best approach?
>
> I assume booting with a Knoppix CD would be a good start, .. but the copy
> would also have to include a [modifed] MBR with the origina boot loader.

Lee,

If you're simply increasing the size of the Windoze drive, why not:
(1) Use ntbackup to do a full backup of the old hard drive (including
System State) with the .bkf file going to a USB2 drive (something other
than the 100GB new drive).
(2) Install the new drive and do a minimal Windoze install.
(3) Finally, use ntbackup to restore everything from the .bkf file.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **