Re: Universal Disc Format (UDF) -- WAS: HD Backup

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 16:34 -0600, Stan wrote:
> Thanks for the extensive reply Bryan. @:D>

No need for thanx, I just want to make people aware of what UDF is.
It's more than an alternative to ISO9660, that's just a side benefit.

UDF is what has _always_ been used for read/write on platform-
independent optical and magnetic media.
If you're still using growisofs for your DVD-RW/+RW media, then you're
not opening yourself to the easiest solution.

I've verified that Windows XP supports UDF 1.02, 1.5 and 2.01.
The default of mkudffs is 2.01.

HD-DVD implements 2.50 as standard.
There is a 2.60 implementation some BluRay backers are pushing instead
of BluRay's default.

And as I said, more and more, larger capacity flash devices are starting
to ship with a UDF driver for Windows.
Any high-capacity optical/magnetic drive/media, like Rigid Removable
Disc (RRD) such as IOMega's Rev drive, already uses it.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com