Re: HD Backup

> On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 22:06 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>
>> But you can't put an SATA or SAS drive in an enclosure designed for PATA
>> (or EIDE, God forbid!), can you?
>>

> You don't need an ATA to FireWire or USB converter.
> SATA goes 1m, SATA goes 8m.

assuming one has external SATA ports, which not everyone does.  I did
find an interesting external enclosure the other day though, external
SATA/usb2/firewire.  Switched between SATA and 1394/usb2 mode with a switch.

honestly i think this thread has gotten a touch off track

yes bryan we know you dont like ntfs and you have seen some really bad
things happen as a result of "design flaws" blah blah blah.  other
people have used ntfs formatted drives bouncing from machine to machine
without any trouble anything close to the trouble you describe (not that
it isnt possible, just that it isnt likely to be encountered by most
people).  cant we all just drop ntfs?

as for the original issue, ray i would evaluate doing one or more of the
following:
external drive formatted ext3 and backed up using rsync.
get more than one external drive and do a rotation (again rsync is "teh
r0x0rz").
offsite backup (via rsync of course) or just backing up to another
machine on the network (a hidden backup locked away from the general
office staff)

keep a copy of knoppix with the server so that it is handy in case you
need it for recovery or whatnot

how goes chicago?

Casey Boone