HD Backup

Well Hello SILUGers!  Long time no write.  I’m doing well up here in
Chicagoland, but I miss the monthly meetings.  I don’t do nearly enough
Linux work up here like I want to, my office is 95% M$.

Anywho, I’ve got a client on the side up here who wants to backup the
Linux (Fedora 4) file server I setup for him.  I’m thinking of doing an
external hard drive backup and just writing a script to copy all the file
shares to the external HD so he can move that off-site very easily.  What
I’m looking for here is recommendations of external HD that are good
brands, breath easily (so it doesn’t overheat), is USB2, and not too hefty
of a price tag hopefully.  Currently he has less than 20GB that need to be
backed up, so even a ‘small’ 100GB drive would give him a about 5 weeks of
backups per drive. I’m thinking of setting him up with 3 drives, so a
backup Mon, Wed, and Fri nights.

Also if anyone has any creative ways of writing such a script to copy the
files, I’d love to hear about that too!  Something simple like Bash
Scripting that I can follow, and edit when necessary. I’m thinking of
something where it checks for backups that are older than 4 or 5 weeks,
deletes those to open up space, then copies the files and folders it
needs.   I’m not asking for anyone to do my work for me, but to point me
in the right direction or maybe any resources I can check online to create
this.

Also also, what are anyone’s thoughts on formatting the drives with FAT32
so that if need be, the drive and its files can be read by a Windows
computer?

Thanks for the advice everyone,
Ray
Formerly from Carbondale