Re: FC4 + yum, apt, CPAN, and repositories

On Dec 20, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>> 6) download and install the source tarball from CPAN
>
> Only do this if you want to re-package into a RPM.  Then
> consider adding to the RPMForge knowledge, as well as submit
> it to Fedora Extras for inclusion.

There's a bunch of CPAN modules that I need for which there is no
RPM.  I have no problem recompiling and submitting.  But I have not
built an RPM in years.  Any clues of how to get started putting
together an RPM for submission?

Building a CPAN module is not difficult, it's just tedious: wget,
untar, perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install.  If any of
the last four steps fail, resolve dependencies and start again.

So, where do SPEC files fit into this process?  Is there an automated
tool to serve as a guide?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent