Re: Verizon DSL

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 22:19 -0600, Paul Cash wrote:
>  We are fairly new to linux an we are looking at dsl. Currently have
> 1
> > machine with fedora 2, one with Kantonix, and one windows XP and no
> network.
> > Of course my son is more worried about security.  What would be a
> practical
> > way to network, hopefully wirelessly, but not necessarily, and
> safely share
> > DSL?

Paul,

First and foremost, with multiple PCs in your home network you should
definitely get a hardware firewall/router to protect them. If Verizon
allows you to buy & use your own terminating router, consider the
Linksys WRT54G. The G and GS models are inexpensive and Linux-based (but
not the new GL model which isn't). It has a B/G wireless access point
(which you can disable) and four 10/100 LAN ports in addition to the WAN
port. It even has a simple DHCP service.

Setup and maintenance is easy with its web-based admin interface. The
default configuration does not allow anonymous connections to pass
through, so it's quite secure right out of the box. And, as we'll see at
tomorrow night's SILUG meeting, with two you can set up a secure
wireless bridge between floors in your home and not have to go thru the
bother and mess of Cat5 cabling.

--Doc