Re: gmail

Tom Dison <fretinator@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I also use Yahoo (I have SBC/Yahoo DSL so the Pro
> version of mail is included),

Just having Plus really works great for me.

> but what I am _really_ waiting for is one of the "biggies"
> like Yahoo or GMail to provide IMAP access to their mail.

Actually, Microsoft Live actually provides a non-standard
protocol that does the same IIRC.  Of course, the entire
service is buggy as crap, as some of the more "honest" media
outlets reported (the demo was constantly crashing and
breaking when it did work ;-).

> I do not find POP3 access adequate due to the large number
> of subfolders I have on Yahoo, etc. I don't want mail
> scattered all over the place.

I feel your pain.

> I used to run an IMAP mail server at my house, but with
> reverse-DNS lookups by everyone, that option became risky.

Some suggestions ...

1.  Run only IMAPS (port 993 IIRC), not IMAP
2.  Run IMAPS on a non-standard port (if your setup allows)
3.  Tunnel over SSH or something else

> Is IMAP too difficult or resource intensive for provider
> like Yahoo or GMail? I would certainly pay for it!

Yes, it takes up a bit of memory and CPU time on the server
side -- especially as a user uses the system.  POP3 and web
access are far more discrete and limited in transfer.

If there is ever a WebDAV standard store instance for e-mail,
that would probably solve the problem once and for all.

mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org     |  (please excuse any