Re: Round two mPlayer

OK.  I'll bite.

On 10/17/05, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 08:36 -0500, Gary Smithe wrote:
> > Not to start some type of distro war, but I've heard a few people rave
> > over SuSe, especially on laptops. OpenSuSe 10 has been released, and
> > is freely available via ftp, or Torrent. I know it leaves out some
> > commercial programs that SuSe Pro includes, but it's free and may be
> > worth your effort, if you decide to do a reinstall.

<SNIP>

> You might not like it and you are free to choose otherwise.  But it
> doesn't mean the system is "broken."  And given that failure of the user
> to understand mounting is the "root cause" here, it *WILL*OCCUR*AGAIN*
> on *ANY*DISTRO*.

Ok.  The root problem is: "I want picture and audio when I play video files."

Please explain how that has anything to do with mounting.

And yes, I will offer a different distro based on 1 simple fact.

* I want things to work, with minimal effort. *

Notice, there is nothing there like "with minimal knowledge."

I could choose a distro that was just "ok", and required 4 hours of
patching and other futzing in order to get the end result I want.
Conversely, I could install a distro that required only 1/2 hour of
time to setup, to achieve the same.

There are different distro's because people have different likes and
tastes.  I'm only offering an option of what is out there so people
can try for themselves.

If you don't know your options, then you're doomed to spend lots of
time reinventing a wheel that already exists.

<SNIP>

GS