Re: Fear of the 64, was OT: PC burn out.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 09:54:31AM -0500, NZG wrote:
> But I still fear the 64 bit processor. I'm running a lot of high end
> applications (Java, Eclipse, Transgaming's WineX, etc...) and I am unsure how
> well this is going to work in the 64 bit world.
>
> Are my fears unfounded?

Yes.  You can run 32-bit at full speed on the AMD64 processors.
64-bit usually runs a tiny bit faster (more registers available, stuff
like that), but the binaries are bigger, so there is a trade-off.

Unless the 32-bit software you want to run requires a kernel
module/patch, you can run either a 32-bit kernel or a 64-bit kernel,
and all your 32-bit software will still work great.  (Obviously,
64-bit software requires a 64-bit kernel.)

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.