Re: OT: PC burn out.

NZG <ngustavson@emacinc.com> wrote:
> Yup, that one specifically.

So what happens if you don't use the P4 connector?
Actually, it shouldn't matter, it won't work without both
connected.

> Correct. This is what leads me to believe that the
> motherboard is damaged.  Specifically the fact that
> it acts like the PS has been shorted.

If the CPU is damaged, memory is damaged or _anything_else_
is damaged, the power supply typically doesn't start up
either.

If you're lucky, the mainboard will send beep codes.  But
many times it won't if the CPU is damaged.

> Yea, I wasn't sure about that.
> It does start without the processor installed though (by
> start I mean the power supply fan spins up. Of course
> nothing else actually happens)

Is this an old AT or newer "soft toggle" ATX?
I assume ATX.

> Not yet, I'm a little scared to do that, fearing I might
> destroy it as well.
> Doesn't get the chance to beep or try posting, if I put the
> 4 pin CPU power
> connector (I'm assuming that's what it is) in place, I get
> no power.

Okay, that sounds like a short there.
But where?  CPU?  Mainboard?  Who knows?
It actually could be the PS itself!
Or did you say you already tried another one (I forgot)?

> There just don't seem to be as many motherboards in this
> form factor, and they seem to be a little pricier, at
> least where I'm shopping (newegg and tiger)
> Functionally it's fine.

Actually, they don't seem bad at all, and are typically
cheaper with more on-board anymore.  It all depends on what
you want.

The new nForce4/GeForce61x0 mainboards are cheapest in
MicroATX form-factors from what I've seen.  MicroATX seems to
be finding itself a renewed interest with the crop of small
form-factor cases that don't skimp on power.

> Doe!, wish I would have found this earlier.
> I did find some crazy guy on Amazon that's selling an
> XP2600 for $60. And I guess their stuff is guaranteed....

Never had a problem with CompGeeks.  My main, dual-P3 server
at home has run without incident for a good 12+ months now
(can't remember when I installed it?).  They test their stuff
well, and they sometimes list Linux support if they get
around to testing it.

The only problem I had once was with an IBM NP17.  But I
think my wife forced something mechanical, and it wasn't a
failed part.

> Yea, I was thinking about that.  I just don't want to
> reinstall my OS and try to reconfigure everything for 64
> bits right now, It was working so nice until it exploded.

Who says you have to go 64-bit because you have an AMD 64-bit
processor?

AMD still rates their processors based on _32-bit_
performance against Celeron/P4 for Sempron[64]/Athlon[64],
respectively.

It's like saying you don't want a DVD drive because you want
to read CDs.  ;-ppp

If you get a similar southbridge/ATA chipset as your existing
Socket-462, it should even boot on Windows XP without issue.
That's actually the compatibility issue.

> bout $40

Are you against returning it, even though there is a
restocking fee?  I just don't see that it makes sense to pay
$100 when you can go to Socket-754 for the same price.

Socket-462 died last year, and Socket-754 processors are
cheaper.  MicroATX Socket-754 mainboards are $50+, even the
latest nVidia designs are $60+ with NV4x (GeForce 6100) video
on-board.

mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org     |  (please excuse any