Re: OT: PC burn out.

> Hmmm, I guess no auto-shutdown, eh?
Fraid not, but I'm starting to see the value of that feature ;-)

> > Now, when I plug the power supply into the little 12V power
> > jack next to the CPU, the power supply won't turn on.
>
> Er, do you mean the 2x2 4-pin P4 header?
Yup, that one specifically.

> > In fact it appears to be shorting internally because once
> > I attempt it the power supply won't come back alive
> > util it has power removed from it, is unplugged from the
> > header, and sits a second.

> > If you didn't smell or see any smoke, and there are no visible signs of
burns, why are you assuming that your CPU+Motherboard are "burned" out ? More
than likely, you have a bad power supply

> You mean the PS won't start its fan?
Correct. This is what leads me to believe that the motherboard is damaged.
Specifically the fact that it acts like the PS has been shorted.

> > This happens regardless of whether the processor is
> > installed or not.
>
> If the processor isn't installed, it shouldn't start at all
> IIRC.
Yea, I wasn't sure about that.
It does start without the processor installed though (by start I mean the
power supply fan spins up. Of course nothing else actually happens)

> Check the caps around the CPU.
I'll check that tonight.

> Also, did you put in a new CPU?
Not yet, I'm a little scared to do that, fearing I might destroy it as well.

> If you're getting beep codes, look up what they mean for the
> mainboard's BIOS vendor.
Doesn't get the chance to beep or try posting, if I put the 4 pin CPU power
connector (I'm assuming that's what it is) in place, I get no power.

> ???  What's wrong with MicroATX  ???
There just don't seem to be as many motherboards in this form factor, and they
seem to be a little pricier, at least where I'm shopping (newegg and tiger)
Functionally it's fine.

> > and am debating whether to order a new processor
> > (AMD 2600)or to risk putting the potentially blown
> > processor into the new motherboard and try it out.
>
> Computer Geeks has a brand new, retail box Biostar MicroATX
> with XP2600 for $95:
>   http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=M7VIG400-2600-N
Doe!, wish I would have found this earlier.
I did find some crazy guy on Amazon that's selling an XP2600 for $60.
And I guess their stuff is guaranteed....

> Otherwise, maybe you should consider a Socket-754 or 939
> mainboard and CPU instead.  Socket-462 virtually _died_ last
> year, and the cost of a Socket-462 CPU can be more expensive
> than a Socket-754 processor today.
Yea, I was thinking about that.
I just don't want to reinstall my OS and try to reconfigure everything for 64
bits right now, It was working so nice until it exploded.

> > What do you think?
>
> Well, if you told me how much you paid for the mainboard,
> I'll let you know.  ;->
bout $40

thanks for all your advice!
NZG