Re: GDM fails to start GNOME session

On Aug 11, 2005, at 10:36 PM, Reid Burke wrote:

> I have decided to setup GDM for my Gentoo Linux box at work. I
> installed GDM and configured it using gdmsetup, set the needed
> variables in /etc/rc.conf, ran `rc-update add xdm default` and
> rebooted. I got the nice GDM login screen, logged in, and I was
> immediately logged out with an error. This is the details of the
> error I received which was found in my ~/.xsession-errors file:
>
> /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp
> and utmp
> /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a
> -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -
> l ":0" "reid"
> /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent
> -- gnome-session
> Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
>

> (gnome-session:7041): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> I can disable GDM and login fine on the console and use `startx` to
> get into GNOME.
>
> Any idea what is going on here? I've googled for answers and found
> many people with a similar problem but no solution. Thanks!

I fixed my problem. I simply did:

rm ~/.Xauthority

and next time GDM logged me in fine. Only one issue remained, and
that was whenever I logged off to get back into GDM the X server
would go out of my monitor's range and my entire system would hang
(not even a ping response) without anything in the system log. I was
able to fix this by adding "AlwaysRestartServer=true" to my /etc/X11/
gdm/gdm.conf file.

Everything now works great!

Reid Burke
Burke Computer Solutions