GDM fails to start GNOME session

I have decided to setup GDM for my Gentoo Linux box at work. I
installed GDM and configured it using gdmsetup, set the needed
variables in /etc/rc.conf, ran `rc-update add xdm default` and
rebooted. I got the nice GDM login screen, logged in, and I was
immediately logged out with an error. This is the details of the
error I received which was found in my ~/.xsession-errors file:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp
and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a -
w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":
0" "reid"
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent
-- gnome-session
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

(gnome-session:7041): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I can disable GDM and login fine on the console and use `startx` to
get into GNOME.

Any idea what is going on here? I've googled for answers and found
many people with a similar problem but no solution. Thanks!

Reid Burke
Burke Computer Solutions
reid@burkecomputer.com