Re: LVM and fdisk

Steven Pritchard wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:05:18PM -0500, bentley rhodes wrote:
>

>>*# vgcreate my_volume_group /dev/hda1 /dev/hdb1
>>
>>but i can't figure out how to make it work, it just says the volume doesn't
>>exist:
>> No physical volume label read from /dev/sda1
>>

>Try 'pvcreate /dev/sda1 ; pvcreate /dev/sdb1' *then* vgcreate.
>
>Steve

[root@bntly ~]# vgcreate VolGroup02/LogVol00 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
New volume group name "VolGroup02/LogVol00" is invalid
[root@bntly ~]# vgcreate VolGroup02 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
Volume group "VolGroup02" successfully created

#k. i used lvmgui-0.4 to do the pvcreate`tion. i wiped both disks with
fdisk, then used lvmgui #with pvcreate. i then used vgcreate VolGroup2
/dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1, and i'm thinking i'm stuck #now. i'm sure all i
have to do now is make entries, like lvcreate? so i did, and heres what
i #got:

[root@bntly ~]# vgdisplay VolGroup02
--- Volume group ---
VG Name VolGroup02
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 2
Metadata Sequence No 1
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 0
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 2
Act PV 2
VG Size 300.00 MB
PE Size 4.00 MB
Total PE 75
Alloc PE / Size 0 / 0
Free PE / Size 75 / 300.00 MB
VG UUID S5ubuS-SAO6-gi2t-w3GB-9HXl-Yqyn-58vIXm

#i'm thinking this is pretty cool now, and so i 'm (blabbing) making an
entry! but i'm confused #now, because the guy says something about
making a special entry, and i'm not sure if that is a #new name or my
VolGroup02 name, or if it should LogVol00?

To create a 1500MB linear LV named 'testlv' and its block device special
'/dev/testvg/testlv':

*# lvcreate -L1500 -ntestlv testvg*