Re: FC4/x86_64 and ALSA: [long] noise and distortion

Tom Dison <fretinator@yahoo.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I have a SB-Live 24-Bit. My sound isn't a good
> as in windows, but I have made it better by turning
> off all the unused channels (I'm just using a pair of
> analog speakers).

Correct.  You're reducing the amount of I/O traffic
by 83% (1/6th) by turning off the 3D spacial aspects.

> but I agree that the sound in windows is just better.

Because the Emu10k driver in Windows off-loads to the
on-board DSP better.  The Linux driver is not quite as
good, hence the increased PCI utilization.

> I imagine if I were using the digital channels it might
> be better.

It won't get rid of all loss, but it probably would
reduce the noticability of the distortions.

--
Bryan J. Smith                 mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
Sent from Yahoo Mail (please excuse any missing headers)