Disgusted with DSL

I am new to linux and only have installed several "workstation" versions of
Mandrake 7.2, Red Hat 9.???, and Linspire 4.5 & 5.0.
I am not ablt to connect to the internet through my DSL (from HTC.NET) with
any Linux Distribution.
I also cannot use my DSL with more then one "Windows XP" machine at a time.
Can anyone help??????
I though if I could get a preloaded Linux based server I could have my
internet on 24/7 which would also provide security for my "XP" stuff.
Or  am I just dreaming?????
If I did build one myself, where could I get a list of Linux compatible
hardware???

Thanks for any help!!!!
Big John
bigjohn@midwest.net