Re: Disgusted with DSL

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 01:04 -0500, JohnH wrote:
> I am new to linux and only have installed several "workstation" versions of
> Mandrake 7.2, Red Hat 9.???,

Both very _old_ versions (especially that Mandrake).

Mandrake(R) Linux is now named Mandriva(TM) Linux and version 10.1.
  http://www.mandrivalinux.com/en-us/

Red Hat(R) Linux is now named Fedora(TM) Core and version 4.
  http://fedora.redhat.com/

> and Linspire 4.5 & 5.0.
> I am not ablt to connect to the internet through my DSL (from HTC.NET) with
> any Linux Distribution.

Depends on the setup.  If it relies on PPPoA or PPPoE authentication
done at the workstation, then you have to setup Linux to support that.
It's not always straight-forward.

Typically dedicating a Linux system as a firewall with something like
IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org) is most ideal.

> I also cannot use my DSL with more then one "Windows XP" machine at a time.

What "DSL modem" did they give you?  Some providers like to artificially
limit you, and then charge you more.

> Can anyone help??????

With more information, always.

> I though if I could get a preloaded Linux based server I could have my
> internet on 24/7 which would also provide security for my "XP" stuff.
> Or am I just dreaming?????

Linux can provide network security for any OS.  The problem is when you
use Windows client software that infests it directly, bypassing any
network security.  No solution will help you there.

> If I did build one myself, where could I get a list of Linux compatible
> hardware???

IPCop has a Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) here:
http://www.ipcop.org/modules.php?
op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=IPCopHCLv01

--
Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith@ieee.org