Re: vi or vim

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 04:18:51PM -0500, bentley rhodes wrote:
> hey, i was reading the man on vi and i couldn't figure out how to enter
> text at the command prompt.  i am thinking it is:

Er, what exactly are you trying to do?  I'd help you, but I can't
without knowing what sort of end you want to achieve.

If it's an end that will allow you to spit some text into a file
somewhere on disk, this will not suffice.  You would have better luck
trying one of

    echo "hello" > ~/text.txt

or

    cat > ~/text.txt <<EOF
    hello
    EOF

to get what you want done.

Vim is a visual editor, and as such, it really requires a sort of
display in order to be useful (though, this isn't really all /that/ true
if you're a masochist and feel like being reminiscent of TECO or
similar).

--
Nathaniel Reindl, freelance tech support monkey and college student
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.12-1.1387_FC4 on an AMD Opteron 240

"Unlike the majority of the Unix peanut gallery, I consider a
case-insensitive, case-preserving file system a screaming /feature/, not
a bug. If you have two distinct files which differ only in case, you're
a pinhead and deserve to lose."
-- Jamie Zawinski, in a comment somewhere about HFS+ in OS X