Re: CVS question...

Ken Keefe wrote:

>I know this isn't a CVS list or a PHP list, but I'm not sure where to
>get help on this. I know this is a problem that other developers have
>faced, but I'm not sure how they solved it. Anyway, here's the issue...
>
>I recently started using CVS for my PHP development projects. In the
>past, I simply edited files on my local machine and then scp'ed the
>whole directory over to the server. Now, there are all sorts of CVS
>created files in the directory and I can't just scp the whole thing
>without copying all that garbage over also. So, I am stuck either scping
>files one at a time manually or scping the whole thing and then going
>through and deleting the CVS files on the server. What is the solution
>for this? I thought about writing a script that looks at the entire
>directory structure and deletes the CVS files. In essence, I'd scp the
>whole thing and then execute this script on the directory. It seems kind
>of dumb to me... Anyway, what do other people use for this problem?
>
>Thanks,
>Ken Keefe

Like someone else said about checking in and checking out...

The main problem it looks like you're having is that you're working from
within the repository directory.
Create a CVS repository somewhere and work from somewhere else.  Check
the code in.  Check it out to work on it and scp the final files off to
production right before checking in when you're done.

You can also set up remote CVS access and check the code out right down
to its final destination.  That's the nice thing about scripting
languages in that you don't have to compile, you can just check it out
and run it as is.