Re: Wanting opinions...

From: "L. V. Lammert" <lvl@omnitec.net>
> If you read the points made BY OpenBSD advocates, you will see
> that the vast majority of flame wars are from *listeners*. Yes,
> Theo is pretty biased, but there isn't one word he spots not the truth.

While I _can_ appreciate _some_ of what he says, I'm sorry, but
Linux is _not_ a bunch of developers who hate Windows!  Linux
exists, just like GNU has existed, in an effort to develop a UNIX-like
platform, and _not_ as an alternative to Windows.

In fact, the so-called "alternative to Windows" projects really affect
_both_ BSD and Linux.

Furthermore, the "distro pissing" is self-defeating.  Theo doesn't have
to do it, and it's not just mis-quotes.

> Of course he supports OBSD (would you expect him NOT to?), is
> fanatical about security and code auditing, but that's his perspective.
> Just RH has their supporters, SuSE, Debian, et al.

As I said, I will _not_ dispute the "focus."  I just don't think it's so
"cut'n dry" as Theo makes it.

> Sometimes the solutions is LInux, sometimes the solution is BSD,
> sometimes the solution is Unix [V], sometimes the solution is
> Windows.

Agreed.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org