Re: Wanting opinions...

> You must have some REALLY wierd h/w, OBSD currently supports 16 different
> architectures.. I have never had a problem selecting compatible h/w,
> really.
Not really, Linux supports MMUless arch's BSD does not.
That's a big chunk right there.
(ARM7, Coldfire)

> Sorry, but the original post asked about the Forbes article, and I
> responded with the 'why'. I don't remember anybody saying OBSD should
> replace Linux (except you)
Going back ,you are correct. That was never explicitly said.
But the tone of the article was how terrible Linux was, and how great BSD was.
I thought the implication was obvious since they didn't bother to mention in
what areas BSD was superior, but just made a lot of vague global statements.

Now if the BSD crowd is willing to back off and admit that they do not have
the same hardware base, as you have just done, and admit they they cannot
replace Linux in a lot of situations, then I agree.

> You really should check out the HCL, then. Unless you're talking about PIC
> (i.e. uController applications) level devices, OBSD has better support than
> the majority distros & OSs. If it has RAM, a flash card & processor, OBSD
> probably runs on it and has been used for a 'network appliance'.
They don't support MMU-less processors. I am taking about uController
applications, and there are a lot more in the woods these days than PIC's.
You are also ignoring RTOS support. Linux has got RTAI with Adeos support, and
the fully preemptive mainstream kernel isn't far off.

> Yep. Note that Linus has no problem *whatsoever* with the BSD families. At
> least he isn't prone to flame wars, as the writer suggested was expected
> from the crowd.
Neither do I, if I could use them effectively, I would.

NZG.