Re: Wanting opinions...

At 11:45 AM 6/20/2005 -0500, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:

>I vote for accurate comparisons and history, not the non-sense that
>too many OpenBSD advocates spew out.

If you read the points made BY OpenBSD advocates, you will see that the
vast majority of flame wars are from *listeners*. Yes, Theo is pretty
biased, but there isn't one word he spots not the truth. Of course he
supports OBSD (would you expect him NOT to?), is fanatical about security
and code auditing, but that's his perspective. Just RH has their
supporters, SuSE, Debian, et al.

>I won't deny the "defaults" of OpenBSD will continue to impress and
>their focus will _always_ be a benefit over any major Linux distro.
>But some Linux distros aren't as "open" in their defaults as OpenBSD
>advocates tend to suggest.

Of course! NOBODY ever said OBSD was the solution to every problem, just as
I'm not going to use a three pound sledge hammer to restart the MB fan
that's dragging on the box sitting next to me.

>It's no different than in the Microsoft comparisons -- you take the
>worst example and use that as the example for "all of Linux."

INDEED!! There is a 'right' tool for every job - that tool depends on:

1) WHAT you want to do.
2) RESOURCES (s/w & h/w) available to use with the tool.
3) BUDGETS for both the project. and
4) PEOPLE available and their experience.

Sometimes the solutions is LInux, sometimes the solution is BSD, sometimes
the solution is Unix [V], sometimes the solution is Windows.

         Lee